- A standard split time watch is usually a bit cheaper than a GPS watch.
- You do not need to charge a watch, although you will need to replace the battery at some point.
- Usually a bit smaller than a GPS watch.
Some pro's for a GPS Watch
- You get the distance you are running on the watch.
- After a running you can upload your running info to you phone.
- Able to store workouts right to watch
I used a running watch for years, I really liked it. I bought if for my first marathon. I bought a split watch so I could split time each mile to know how long each mile took. It worked great. Back then I was also running training routes I knew the distance to, so it worked out well. Also, back then GPS watches were really big, the watch wasn't.
GPS watches have gotten a lot smaller and are able connect to heart rate monitors. They also make them with better batter life, touch screens and color screens.